Sunday, January 06, 2008

Review: Highland Kitchen, Somerville, MA

We went on Dec 20, ~8pm. We were barely able to grab two seats at the bar to catch some of the football game (for the sports-adverse, do not worry, there is no audio; this is NOT a sports bar, nor is it a pub in the traditional sense...anyone sick of the term gastropub yet? Well, that's the most apt descriptor.). The place was absolutely PACKED. I was stunned and so were the sweet staff. The space is comfortable...a nod to Green Street circa, 2007. Modern but cozy (think sage green walls + pressed tin ceilinged bar, modern-ish lighting fixtures, painted brick walls). Bartender James was terrific (we admired him as he poured a beautiful take on a French 75 martini + a lovely blackberry in the bottom of the glass - it was good-looking drink). I stuck with the capable by-the-glass French red selection and he had Smuttynose draft. We started with RI style calamari, body rings and tentacles ($7; don't groan...it was delicious served with spicy peppers and a red pepper coulis). I had the mahi-mahi special ($16), a la Green Street - served on Scotch bonnet pepper salsa+ roasted half-potatoes. James worried about my red wine pairing so he brought me a taste of a sweet-ish white (sorry, I didn't note the varietal), which cut the spiciness, but honestly, I could have used more spice in my dish and I could have dispensed with the potatoes. He had the Cuban Reuben ($8), which he deemed delicious+ handcut fries. I stole a few fries - yum (some sweet potato in there)! Isn't this the kind of place that all of us crave, particularly for those bleak weeknight evenings when you don't want to cook? Our bill totaled ~$65 (3 glasses of wine+2 beers+app+2 entrees).

http://highlandkitchen.com/

No comments: